Monday, October 12, 2009

Yorkshire Pudding gone mad!



 
I've been craving a roast beef dinner for ages...as an English girl living in Florida I sometimes (alot of the time) I miss my traditional roast on a Sunday. Roast Beef in the UK would be served with roast potatoes, lots of delicious veggies, gravy, creamy horseradish sauce and ......Yorkshire Pudding. Yorkshire Pudding isn't a pudding, or any type of dessert. It's a light airy pastry made with meat drippings ( I substitute vegetable oil)  served with the meat, often with gravy or meat juices.  Cooked in a very hot oven, the Yorkshire pudding puffs up, leaving large pockets of air, and becomes a pastry that is more crust than interior. It is excellent for sopping up juices, or for Americans, buttering and eating like a dinner roll.

 
I have alway bought a mix before, but Jacksonville doesn't have the same influx of English as Orlando does and I realised to my horror I would have to make from scratch. Anyway, that is what the internet is for...so I Googled away and found the recipe from Chef Brian Turner.. if he (being from Yorkshire) can't make a descent Yorkie, then I don't know who can...

 
Well blow me down, it was simple...and the largest yorkshires ever made (in my kitchen) were born...enjoy!

 
Ingredients
(for 6 people...2 each!)
 
 
  • 1 cup of all purpose flour (plain)
  • 1 cup of eggs (I used 4 large)
  • 1 cup of milk (I used fat free and it didn't seem to hurt)
  • 1 good pinch of salt
  • vegetable oil 
  • 12 space muffin tin (yorkshire pudding tin)
  1.   Heat oven to 425 F (220 C)
  2. Combine well all the ingredients except the oil
  3. Add 1 teaspoon of oil to each compartment in the tin
  4. Put in oven and heat until oil is smoking
  5. Pour equal amounts of the batter into each compartment
  6. Put back in oven and cook for approximately 25 mins - try not to open oven as they might fall!
  7. Enjoy with gravy and roast beef

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails