Thursday, October 1, 2009

Wanting Wontons....?

Ok this is the first blog of my new blog. My dog and I already write one...just day to day life goings on in sunny Florida..Yes, his name is Gary!!, however my friends have been trying to get me to write down all the wonderful recipes I come up with and finally I succumbed...so firstly a disclaimer.....

'If you should end up with food poisoning from any of my recipes....you were doing something wrong!

Ok so why were we here?...ahh yes the first of my recipe blogs, well actually there are two... Fried Chinese Wontons and Jalepeno Popper Wantons, but lets start with the Fried Chinese Wontons...

We were at a football party yesterday and my mother always taught me not to go empty handed...these are what I came up with. A variation on the chinese dumpling, they are a little fiddly and time consuming to put together, but my, are they tasty and are sure to get you the requisite oohs and aahs ..think firework display!



Ingredients

  • 350g (0.8 lb) ground pork
  • 4 green onions (scallions), thinly slicked
  • 3 tablespoons of Hoisin sauce, available in most supermarkets
  • 3 teaspoons of low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 cloves of garlic finely grated
  • 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
  • 1 well beaten egg
  • 1 packet (12 oz) wonton wrappers
  • Canola / vegetable oil to fry
  1. Combine the pork, green onions, hoisin, soy sauce, garlic and ginger with the egg in a bowl.
  2. On a flat surface lay the wontons out ( I do 4 at a time), and brush some water around the edges of each one.
  3. Place a heaped teaspoon of the pork mixture in the centre of each wonton and then pinch together. (if you prefere you could make triangles or other shapes, it is entirely up to you!)
  4. Repeat until all wontons are filled.
  5. Heat oil in a pan to a deep enough level to cover wontons. Deep fry the wontons until golden and crispy. Do not over fill the pan as you will bring the oil temp down and end up with soggy wonton...
  6. Drain and you are ready to serve.
Don't worry about the raw pork. The heat of the oil cooks the small amount through and they continue to cook as the drain.

I served with a little homemade sauce with the left over hoisin sauce...

  • 2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of honey
  1. Combine together and chill
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails