Anyway I'm back to the house tomorrow morning so I'll be leaving this as a surprise for my husbands Friday night supper. If he doesn't like it Anne, I blame you ( and you are not allowed back in Florida ;-) ).
- 10 slices of pancetta or smoked streaky bacon rashers, sliced
- 1 handful rosemary, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound chuck steak, minced, or best minced beef
- 1 wineglass of red wine
- 1 level teaspoon dried oregano
- 14 ounce tin of tomatoes
- 7 ounce tube of tomato puree or 1 small jar sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound dried spaghetti
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 2 handfuls of grated Parmesan or strong Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large hot pan that can go in the oven, fry the pancetta and rosemary in a little olive oil until lightly golden.
- Then add the onion and garlic and fry for a further 3 minutes, until softened, before adding the minced beef.
- Stir and continue frying for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the wine.
- Reduce slightly, then add the oregano, all the tomatoes, and the tomato puree.
- Season well to taste, bring to the boil, cover with greaseproof paper or a lid, and place in the preheated oven for an hour and a half.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, put your spaghetti into a large pot of fast-boiling salted water until al dente (check the packet for cooking time).
- When it's cooked, drain it in a colander.
- Just before serving, add some ripped-up fresh basil to the sauce.
- Serve with your spaghetti and some grated Parmesan or strong Cheddar.