Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10mins prep, 2 1/2 hrs cooking
- 1 1/2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 1 large yellow onion medium diced
- 3 sticks of celery sliced at a diagonal in 2 " pieces
- 3 large carrots sliced at a diagonal in 2 " pieces
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and sliced in 1/4 thickness ( you can add more if you are not going to serve potatoes with your meal)
- 1/4 cup thyme leaves
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard (I used Grey Poupon)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- Set oven at 300 F ( 150 C)
- Cut meat into 2" pieces
- Season well with salt and pepper
- Coat the meat with the flour and shake off excess
- Heat one tablespoon of oil at a medium hot heat.
- Brown the meat on both sides, you are looking for a nice crust, don't cook through and don't crown pan as the meat wont brown. Once all meat done remove from casserole and turn heat down to medium.
- Add rest of oil, heat and then add onion, celery, carrot, thyme. As you stir remember to scrape all the good bits off the bottom of the pan
- When the onions have started to soften add the meat back to the casserole, then add the wine, stock, mustard and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, stir well and then cover with lid or foil and put in oven.
- Cook for 2 hrs and then shut off oven and leave to cool down if you are going to eat another day. If not you can thicken if required with some corn starch (flour) and a little water - it depends how thick you want your stew.