Although it's far from Fall (Autumn) here (92 F yesterday, phew!) it's still nice to have some warming food - just turn the AC down and pretend!
This scrummy sausage casserole is a little bit spicy, but you can leave the chilli out if you wish and it will still be delicious. Enjoy!
Preparation 10 mins
Cooking time 1 hr
- 2 small red onions - chunked
- 1 red bell pepper - chunked
- ½ green bell pepper - chunked
- 3 cloves garlic - chopped
- ½ large red chilli – finely chopped
- 1 cup (glass) red wine
- 1 cup (glass) stock
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms - quartered
- 1 cup smoky bacon – chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup chorizo sausage – chopped into bite size pieces
- 6 good quality sausages- high meat percentage cut into inch pieces (use scissors it's easier!)
- 1 14oz (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 (200g) 7-8oz baked beans - in England in would use Heinz, however something like Bushes will work fine
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp mixed italian herbs
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
3. In a casserole pot that you can use on the burners heat a little olive oil. Gently fry the sausage pieces, browning on all sides.
4. Add the bacon and chorizo and fry off for a few minutes until a little cripsy and the fat has rendered.
5. Remove meat from pan and add onions, peppers, garlic, chilli. Cook in meat juices for 5 minutes.
6. Add celery salt, herbs, chilli flakes and tomatoes – cook for 5 mins
7. Add wine, stock and mushrooms. Bring to boil then remove from heat.
8. Add back in the meat and stir in.
9. Cover and place in oven for 40 mins
10. Remove from oven and stir in baked beans. Cover and leave for 5 mins then stir and serve. The beans only need to heat through, we do not want them to break down....