For 2 people
2 gratin dishes
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup grated aged swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mixed grated Italian cheese
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and thinly sliced ( I used side of grater)
- 4 sprigs of Thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Approx 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- In a frying pan add the potatoes, thyme, onion and garlic - cover with water and a teaspoon of salt and bring to the boil. You are looking for the potatoes to be just cooked. Drain
- Wash the frying pan as the potatoes drain and add a tablespoon of butter. Once melted on a low-medium heat gently fry off the potato mixture (remove the thyme springs now)
- In a saucepan melt the other tablespoon of butter, then add the flour, cooking for about 2 minutes on a low/medium heat. Add 1/2 a cup of milk and keep stirring, once thickened add another 1/2 cup, contunue until you have a thick sauce. Add the swiss and romano cheeses, the mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl combine the cheese sauce, the ham and the potato mixture.
- Add to two gratin dishes
- Sprinkle with the Italian cheese mix
- Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and cook at 400 F for 20 minutes until bubbling and brown.