I was in a 'couldn't be bothered mood' today. Couldn't be bothered to do the ironing, couldn't be bothered to put any make up on, didn't even make the bed until half an hour ago...really I wasn't in the mood to even chew anything for dinner.... So what can I make for dinner that I wouldn't have to chew? Well the easy answer would be to nip to Panera, 5 mins away, and buy some broccoli & cheddar soup... but hold on a minute, surely I can knock some up and maybe enough for the freezer too... On checking the fridge I had most of the ingredients...so here is my broccoli & cheddar soup.
I've tried to keep the calories to a minimum except for the cheese - in the end it is cheddar & broccoli !!Enjoy!
Serves 6-8 people
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves or garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1lb small chopped broccoli -you can use stalk and florets
- 4 cups of chicken broth (low sodium, fat free)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat free milk
- salt & cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb shredded sharp Cheddar cheese - try and get block cheese and shred yourself, it melts better than the pre-shredded.
2. Add the onion, garlic powder and white pepper and cook for a minute
3. Add the broccoli and chicken broth, bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 mins until broccoli is softened
4. In the meantime whisk the flour with the milk until flour dissolved.
5, With a hand blender, rough blend the soup leaving some broccoli pieces. You don't want it completely smooth.
6. On a medium heat gradually add the milk mixture. The soup will thicken.
7. Once milk mixture added add the cheddar and melt through the soup.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. If the soup is too thick, add some more milk to thin