Whilst channeling Martha Stewart this Christmas I made some delicious jams and chutneys...here is my favourite, Mango & Jalapeno Chutney.
• 4 cups mangoes (Ripe) – skinned, stoned and chopped
• 1/2 cup lime, seeded and chopped (with skin)
• 1 cup yellow onion diced
• 1/2 cup fresh ginger, Grated
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 6 jalapenos, broiled, skinned, deseeded and chopped
• 2 cups light brown sugar
• 1 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon whole mustard seeds
• 1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon, Ground
• 4 cloves (will be removed at end of cooking)
1.Place all ingredients in heavy saucepan over medium heat.
2. Bring to boil.
3. Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for about 12 hours.
5. Again bring to a boil, lower heat, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Remove from heat and remove cloves. Pour into hot sterilized jars.( I sterilized by simmering lids and jars for 20 minutes – you could do in the oven too)
7. Place in a canning bath and cover on a medium heat for 10 mins… remove and leave to cool for 12 hours before moving
8. Label and enjoy